Join the ham radio community. Take the challenge – it’s your ticket to a lifetime with plenty of interesting activities.
This is the roadmap to your United States Amateur Radio License
- Register yourself at the FCC online. You go online to the ULS of the FCC site. Create an account with your personal data and US residence. If you do not have a residence in the USA, you have to ask a friend or get an address from commercial services. One of many choice is VIAbox
- The FCC registration portal is here FCC Registration
- Besides recording your account access data, the most important figure is your FRN
- Make yourself familiar with the questions. You can do virtual exams here virtual exam at QRZ
- Here a copy of my color marker study papers. I found it more easy with color.
Technician Class General Class Extra Class
- Take your time for the preparation and the exam, it’s a lot of questions.
And don’t forget to bring your FRN to the exam, you will need it. You cannot skip the entry class. If you are starting from scratch, you have to start with Technician Class, followed by General Class and finally Extra Class. The Volunteer Examiner will let you go ahead only after you have passed the current exam. Though there were tough guys who did all exams in one go, it’s certainly not the ordinary way. GOOD LUCK!
- You will receive your call sign without further application after about 6 weeks. Check for vanity call sign. This FCC service is for free.
German Amateur Radio License
Germany offers two license classes:
Klasse E for novice [ limited bands and power ]
Klasse A for seniors [ full access ]
This is the roadmap to your German Amateur Radio license
- Download the questionnaires from the German Telecommunication Authority, the BUNDESNETZAGENTUR. Files are available in PDF format.
- Start with license level for novice, it’s called Klasse E.
- Get in touch with one of the many clubs in Germany. The governing body is the DARC [ Deutscher Amateur Radio Club ]. Looking on the DARC www platform, you will find the nearest club in your area.
- DARC can also help you to source examination dates and locations.
- Test is multiple choice. Score better or equal to 75% and you receive your license.
- Apply for a call. It’s not assigned to you automatically, e.g. such as in the US.
Of course, you can upgrade to the highest ham class any time later. It’s called Klasse A. With this premium license, you have access to all bands and may use max. allowed power.
It’s not mandatory to begin with Klasse E. You can also go for Klasse A in the first place. However I would not recommend this way since it isn’t that easy subject.
All questionnaires are in German language. Besides sound technical background, you will need good understanding of the German language.